Requirements for registering to vote in Nash County:
TO VOTE IN NASH COUNTY YOU MUST HAVE BEEN A LEGAL RESIDENT OF NASH COUNTY FOR 30 DAYS PRIOR TO THE ELECTION.
- you must be a citizen of the United States AND
- you are 18 years of age or older OR
- you are 17 years of age AND will be 18 by the date of the general election
- you have not previously registered to vote in Nash County
- your Nash County registration was canceled because you registered in another county or state
- you changed your name
- you wish to change your political party
- you have moved within the county and need to update your address
- you need to update your mailing address (PO Box)
- you have been convicted of a felony and your citizenship rights have been restored
- Postmarked at least 25 days before the election, or
- Delivered to the local board of elections office no later than 5:00 p.m. on the 25th day before the election
People with felony convictions in NC are prohibited from voting or registering to vote until they've completed all terms of their felony sentences, including any probation or parole. It's a felony to attempt to register or vote while serving a felony sentence.
Once people convicted of felonies complete their sentences or get pardoned, they are eligible to register and vote. Those convicted of misdemeanors DO NOT lose their voting rights, even if they are incarcerated.